Cannot Log-on in Apple Mail – Here is the solutions, you can try.
Cannot Log-on in Apple Mail Client
Apple Mail or now simply called ‘Mail’ is an email client pre-installed in Mac operating systems. It is one of the most popular clients that is being used by millions.
But if you are having trouble with one of your email accounts and cannot login correctly, here we are talking about some of the issues you might be facing and what you can do about them.
The Password Issue
- If your Mail client keeps asking for the password for your email account, it may be that you entered the wrong password the first time.
- Another issue might be that you changed your password with the email provider but have not updated it yet on ‘Mail’ client.
- The email provider has some additional security settings that restrict the access to other third-party apps like ‘Mail.’ For example, if you have two-step verification added on Gmail, then you require a separate password (called “App Password”) to sign in on other software.
- Another possibility is that the password is expired and it requires you to reset/updated it. After resetting the old password, remember to also update it on ‘Mail.’
All these problems with password are when the client successfully connects to the email provider but failed to connect to your email account.
Cannot connect to the mail server/network.
If ‘Mail’ fails to connect to the server or your email network in the first place, there could be several reasons behind that.
- Firstly, check your internet connection and make sure it is on and working correctly.
- Sometimes, the servers with your email provider might be down. Best is to wait and see if the problem persists after a while. You can check the status of many services like Gmail or Outlook or iCloud online.
- “Mail” has its native connection diagnostic feature called “Connection Doctor” that can let you know the specific connection issue. When you get a connection error while connecting to your mail servers, you will find a link for “connection doctor.”
- Sometimes, if the ‘Mail’ on your other devices (like iPhone) are also checking for mails at the same time, it could cause some issues. Try closing Mail on other devices.
- If the error is not about connection but specifically about your email account, it might be possible that you entered wrong server settings or that the settings have changed and you need to update them. Settings like server port, hostname, etc. “Mail” usually applies the correct settings automatically for popular services like Gmail and Outlook. But for other email providers, you need to confirm the settings are correct. You can also look up these settings for your email here – https://www.emailsettings.email/. Just enter your email ID and click ‘Find.’
Here are few more troubleshooting tips you can try if the above solutions don’t work for you:
- Update your Mac operating system completely
- If emails do not arrive on time, contact your email provider to understand the reason for delay. Sometimes, the delivery mechanism can deliver an email a bit late to some clients while a bit earlier to others. This is not a problem in general, but if you notice a significant delay frequently, get in touch with your provider.
- Delete your email account and then add it again.
In most scenarios, these solutions fix whatever the problem was. If they do not, the chances are your email provider is facing some issue (like server outage). Either contact them or wait a while to try again.
Try these methods, If you cannot Log-on in Apple Mail / Mac Mail client.